Contrary to what I am sure most people think, I am not always at the beach! In fact, I have only been to the beach once, and it was only for a few hours. The first two weeks here I didn´t even see water, and I was in a port city (and when I did see th water that was there it was so unimaginably polluted and covered in trash that my heart broke)! When I did go to the beach it was very pretty and the water was clear and warm, but that is not my daily reality.
I have been in the dirty, hot capital. I have been to the hot, gossip filled, animals running wild country. I have bathed in rivers and with buckets. I have gone to bed at 8 because there is no electricity and what else am I going to do? What I have not done is gone to the beach every day and sat out in the sun.
I am sure those days will come. After the demanding training is over, once I am established in my community, 6 months from now I will be able to take a few days vacation at the beach and enjoy the clear caribbean waters. But for now, I will just have to keep reminding myself that I am on an island, even if I don´t see water for weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So apparently I need to clarify this post. The purpose of this was to show that the PC in the DR is not us all hanging out on the beach. It is the PC, and as such we are working with people and communities who have asked for our help--otherwise we wouldn´t be here. I am not saying that this country isn´t beautiful--IT IS! What I am saying is that I do not always get to sit back and enjoy the beauty, but rather I am here working and living the reality that the people who live here face.
ReplyDeleteThis reminds me of my second trip to Italy. I actually mentioned it in my Peace Corps essay about how postcards can lie. When I went to Italy I stayed in Brescia a small town up North and everyone know each other. The classes were divided and the foreigners were the lowest of the lower and when I try to tell people that Italy is not all that it's brought up to be I get looked side ways. The DR is an island but I bet after being exposed to what you will be, calling it paradise will be an overstatement. We need people like you blogging about your experience so when tourist visit so called paradise they will also think about the other part side of the DR -the poverty stricken island.
ReplyDeleteHey Adria,
ReplyDeleteI just remembered you have this blog and read all your posts. Very interesting, I really admire you for what you are doing! Please keep on writing. Otherwise I hope you are fine!! I arrived in Prague three weeks ago and it's awesome!!
I remembered I wrote a comment of how you are a disgrace to the Peace Corps. I just wanted you to watch what you write because if you did'nt know back in the 60's and now in the present is a honor to be a Peace Corps Volunteer.
ReplyDeleteAdria, yours friends do not need to rephrase your blogging experiences in your writing. Always remember this is not what you say is the way you say it(use this in your future writing)Good-by
ReplyDeleteADRIA!
ReplyDeleteI just caught up on your blog. I really miss you. :( I can't wait until you're all settled in so that I can go visit you and see all the amazing work you're doing! Except...after that last hair post I may have to reconsider wanting to go to D.R. Can we please talk about how afrolicious I would be there?
Anyway, I hope you're having an amazing time! <3
I do know that being in the PC is an honor, and everyone who knows me knows the determination and desire I showed to become a PCV. I am very honored to be in the PC and especially in the DR. I did not feel that what I wrote was negative at all, and after asking several people they also agreed that they understood what I was trying to say and did not find it negative, but rather a statement that I was not living in a resort.
ReplyDeleteThat being said, I am careful with what I write and would never intentionally write anything disrespectuful about what I am doing because I LOVE it. However,if someone does misinterpret or misread my intentions I am more than happy to clarify.
CYNTHIA!! I was just thinking about you the other day and how much I miss you! How weird...our minds were in sync. I couldnt remember if you had verizon...but if you do my phone works with verizon customers and we need to catch up!
It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to put others down when you hide behind anonymous. No clarification needed Adria. You have proved your dedication in everything you do and this is no exception. We are all so proud of you and know the DR is lucky to have you with them.
ReplyDelete