Here electricity comes and goes, but this is intentionally. Each neighborhood has a designated time in which they are given electricity. Where I live, in Los Cocos, we have electricity from 11am to about 3pm, and then from about 7pm to….well I don’t know until when because I am always asleep by 9! The hours work out for me because at night I get to watch my favorite telenovela, which I will talk more about later.
Unfortunately, I am currently left without any electricity. The other night a cable fell and cut out electricity completely. Sparks were flying and the cable was just there hanging loose. Apparently this is not uncommon, and according to my Doña oftentimes people do a poor job so that you will have to pay them to fix it. She told me a story about an electrician who came to install electricity a couple years ago and how he intentionally used a bad cable, which then of course broke. When they called him he said that they needed a 20 foot cable and that he had one and would sell it to them and then they could pay him again for fixing what he didn’t do right the first time. You got to admit it, as a business strategy it is pretty ingenious, cruel and immoral, but ingenious.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Luckily since I wrote this they have fixed the electricity to the few hours a day it is supposed to be!
ReplyDeleteCrooks, it's good that each town is given a black out time frame. It means everyone literarly has to use their time wisely!
ReplyDeleteYou go to bed at 9:00! You are certainly a different person than I once knew! You didn't even go to bed at 9:00 as an infant.
ReplyDelete