Monday, August 10, 2009

Two more years as an RA????

I was a Resident Assistant (RA) on and off for four years at Northeastern University. During this time I became accustomed to many of the hardships that come along with the RA position including but not limited to: being on the job 24/7, being a public role model, dealing with "gray area" situations, being a "fish in a fish bowl, " learning new vernacular in the form of acronyms, having no say in where I live, not getting paid, and going through a massive amount of training.

Now I realize, after sifting through all of the expectations and schedules that the Peace Corps has given me, I am pretty much faced with two more glorious years as an RA. Mind you, this is not necessarily a bad thing. I did pretty good as an RA, made tons of friends, enjoyed the challenges, and I've been living that lifestyle for so long now that maybe it will make the PC transition easier.

So here is how the two positions compare. In the Peace Corps I am: on the job 24/7, a public role model who cannot drink or smoke in public, assigned a vague job title that involves 'flexibility,' "a fish in a fish bowl," learning new vernacular in the form of the Dominican dialect, having no say in where I live, not getting paid, and going through an even more massive amount of training (3 months in fact).

I can only hope that I will enjoy the Peace Corps just as much and make just as many great friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment